Quick Cakes

I made some babycakes a couple weeks back and decided to freeze a portion of the batch.  I was sure to put the unfrosted cupcakes in a freezer bag to keep them fresh.  My thought was to pull them out next time I needed a last minute dessert, throw some icing on them and they'd be ready to go (a tip my mother-in-law gave me).  I didn't have a specific time or purpose for them, but I knew they'd help me out when I was in a jam.

I was certainly glad that I had, because when my husband let me know that we were having a brunch at our house for The Price is Right viewing, I had a quick dessert ready to go in addition to some other breakfast items.  I simply defrosted the cupcakes by pulling them out of the freezer about 45 minutes before I frosted them.  I had kept a can of frosting in the cupboard and so all I had to do was frost the cupcakes...3 minutes later, they were ready to be served.


Simple enough.  Well too simple of the not so simple housewife.  Of course I had to take it a step farther, after all my husband was going to be on The Price is Right and I wanted to celebrate him and do a little something extra special for him.


I decided to use The Price is Right dollar sign logo as a monogram for the cupcakes.  Now I am no artist...I always mess up when I have to draw something...so I had to use my hand as a practice template. I also used my iPad as a reference point for the logo (I hardly ever get to use it and so I decided to take advantage).


If I could do it on my hand, I must have had it down.  I was ready to begin...on an actual cupcake that is.


Busy at work the night before the brunch.  One of the best parts was when I made a mistake, I could just wipe it off and start over with the frosting and piping...now that is my kind of project.


They weren't all perfect or the same size even (as I said I'm not an artist and I don't have a steady hand), but they were festive.  I liked that they added enough of a special touch to be special, but not so much as to go overboard.  


I was slightly worried that they wouldn't be good as they had been in the freezer for about 2 weeks, but they were delicious.  They still tasted so fresh!


I was so pleased with this idea and the results.  If I hadn't decorated the cupcakes further, they would have been done in about 3 minutes flat (minus the defrost time).  I will certainly continue to reserve a portion of my batches of cupcakes for the freezer from now on, because you never know when you might have a guest pop in at the last minute!

Comments