Negativity. The Cost of Truth?



My entire pregnancy people kept giving me advice.  Things to cherish before they are gone and things to anticipate--essentially, things to freak a pregnant lady out.


I remember engaging in several conversations and praying to be gracious as it is difficult to hear the many words of wisdom and experience flow from a negative bent.  People mean well.  But I couldn't help but feel like what everyone really wanted to say was, "your life is great now, but you have to kiss it goodbye.  But don't worry, you'll be just fine. We've all been there."

It made me want to prove people wrong.  I know that children are a gift from the Lord.  It is a privilege to raise a child.  A charge to steward their upbringing well.  And a blessing that is not bestowed upon everyone.  So even if it is difficult we must not see it as the end of the good life.  I decided I wasn't going to be the product of such negativity.

They are right though.  It is challenging.  Life with a newborn is difficult.  Sleep goes by the wayside.  Your patience for anyone other than your child starts to give way.  You are stretched to your limits and then some.  The task is monotonous and isolating.
My question now is knowing that this is true, how do we speak of this change in life without pouring on the negativity?  
The truth is that my life was great before Josiah entered my life.  I have, in fact, had to say farewell to some parts of my everyday life.  But it is more than just fine to be a mama-it is wonderful!  Yes I've bid adieu to some parts of my life, but I've been able to say hello to so much more.  The change is tremendous, but it is glorious.  It points you to God in ways I've never experienced.  
So how do I speak honorably about the early stages of parenthood?

For now I know I can say:
This is what I was created for.
To love unconditionally.
To sacrifice greatly.
To put others before myself.
To lean hard into the grace made available only by the cross.
This is the life of a mother, but it is also how I'm called to live as a believer.
Yes it is trying, but it is lovely.  God's grace is sufficient for me.

Comments