Twine Not? Day 1 of 5 Days, 5 Ways


I recently got one of these Delfina Covered Jars.  I've had my eye on them for quite some time.  Of course Create and Barrel has beautiful ones, but not so beautiful price tags.  I'd seen some cheaper ones are Target a couple months ago, but they were oddly shaped and I just wasn't a fan.  About a week ago I was at Target (yet again) and I saw it!  I loved the shape, I loved the size, and I loved the $19 price tag (half the price of the smallest and cheapest Delfina jar at Create and Barrel).

When I got it home, I had thought I'd try to fill it with wine corks, but quickly realized that my small collection of corks (after about 9 months of "collecting") just wasn't large enough.  I needed to find something else!

I was sitting on my sofa looking at our center piece on the coffee table when I got an idea.


I could fill the jar with some smaller wicker decorative balls, but I'd need to go on a scavenger hunt to find the right size...or even better, I could make my own!  So I got to work!  

I chose to use crumpled paper towels as a form for these homemade twine balls.  


I then simply started to wrap the paper towel in twine.  The first couple times I used tape to secure the twine to the paper, but quickly realized that was unnecessary as the wrapping would secure the twine in place.


After the paper towel was throughly covered, I tucked the loose end into the tightly wound twine.


Repeat several times and there you have it!  

Compare the original and my "knock offs."  Mine our much smaller as to accommodate the small jar opening and they have a different texture and...


... I love them!


The perfect inexpensive home decor project!



I'm partying at:

Comments

  1. Cute, cute!!~ Thanks for sharing with my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of textured balls. I buy pretty yarn, jute and string when I see it at the thrift store. I wrap each one in a ball (takes me a while sometimes)and I display them in bowls, jars etc. around the house. When I need a piece of string or yarn I always have a piece handy. Just spot it out and cut! Decorating and storing all in one. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ingenious! I love the natural look- I also like what KK said- Decoration and storage- great combo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! I love the texture of the balls in the jar.

    I'm visiting from Debbie's Newbie party and am looking forward to following your blog. I hope you'll come by mine too.

    Have a great day!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this idea! I recently began filling my glass jar with wine corks and after years of collecting them, I don't have enough... I think I forgot to save 90% of my corks. haha

    Visiting from debbiedoo's and am now your next newest follower!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. i read another blog about how to make these twine balls, but you soak the twine in glue, and wrap it around a small blown up balloon, after the twine and glue is dry, pop the balloon with a small needle or something, and squeeze it thru the twine! i am going to your way, and the way i just typed :) btw, love your blog! XO

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful comments! I always look forward to hearing from you!