Chalk Full Day 3 of 5: Chalkboard Coasters

A few months ago I was at Z Gallery and I saw the cutest coasters.  They inspired me.  They were turquoise...which goes without saying because they caught my eye...and they looked just like tile.  On my way home from the mall I stopped by Lowe's to pick up some tile and make my own!  I found the perfect colored tiles and the backs were even finished off.  They were this beautiful sea glass, but there was a small problem.  They were $3.50 a piece and I wanted to make four.  If I had bought them and all of the supplies I needed, it would have ended up being more than buying the finished product at Z Gallery.  So I, sadly, walked away.

I tucked that idea away and thought I'd learn how to paint cute designs or something and then buy just plain white tiles one day (since they are only 16 cents each) and I'd make my coasters then.  Well in my chalkboard frenzy, I decided to try chalkboard coasters (since I had determined that the paint worked on glass).


When I first painted the tiles, it was extremely streaky.  I had to paint a few coats before I could get a solid layer without streaks.



Once the paint was finished I primed the chalkboard and added felt dots to the back of the tile.  The tiles are not covered on the bottoms, but for my purposes this was okay.  Perhaps If I am to do this again I will think of another idea to cover the bottoms of the tiles to give them a more finished look.


We gave the set to Josh's dad for fathers day.


It was a great gift.  Simply tie the coasters together and attach a piece of chalk.






Thanks for stopping by for day 3 of 5 Days, 5 Ways!


Be sure to take a look at the past two days (Day 1 and
Day 2) and report back tomorrow for the next way!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thank you for your thoughtful comments! I always look forward to hearing from you!